Re: Simplifying metadata

On 10/27/15 8:50 AM, Geoffrey Sneddon wrote:
> Oh, what I said was based on mistaken belief about hg. In git there are
> separate "Author" and "Committer" fields—and the committer can set the
> Author field to whatever they want

Similar in hg.  Each changeset has a "user" field that identifies the
author of the changeset.  This value persists as the changeset is pushed
across repositories.  In addition, each push to a repository is
associated with whoever did the push.  So whoever does the commit just
needs to set the "user" appropriately and it should be all fine.

> hence in git there's no reason to
> ever require author metadata in the file.

Nor for hg.

-Boris