Re: dependencies in tests

Le 2015-06-16 16:45, Gérard Talbot a écrit :
> Le 2015-06-16 16:20, Florian Rivoal a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am wondering what to do when testing a feature A that depends on a
>> feature B if B isn't available (and is something from another spec).
>> Should I make that a pass condition? a fail condition? Something else?
>>
>> Here's one concrete example:
>>
>> For 'cursor: text', "User agents may automatically display a
>> horizontal I-beam/cursor (e.g. same as the vertical-text keyword) for
>> vertical text"
>>
>> (This is a MAY, so the "may" flag meta flag is needed, but that's
>> orthogonal to the question).
>>
>> A simple test would involve using writing-mode to make a piece of
>> vertical text, apply the text-cursor to it, and check what it looks
>> like.
>>
>> But what if the browser doesn't support writing modes?
>>
>> Should the text in the test says something like "Test passes if ...,
>> fails if ..., and if there is no vertical text, skip this test."?
>
> No, I do not think so.
>

>> I could not find guidance for this in the testthewebforward site.
>>
>>  - Florian
>

> If the user agent does not support vertical writing-mode, then the
> test must fail.
>
> If the user agent supports vertical writing-mode but does not support
> a vertical text cursor, then the test must fail.
>
> It will be up to the manufacturer of such user agent or rendering
> engine to establish or to untangle the reason of the test failure by
> their user agent or rendering engine.

If you can describe the vertical-text cursor with simple words, then it
would be sufficient.

What I often do is indicate that the glyphs of the words (say, "Text
sample") tested should be rotated 90° clockwise (or translated
vertically if 'text-orientation: upright' is being tested) and that the
cursor should look like a short horizontal bar. By writing all that, you
are also verifying that the user agent supports vertical writing-mode.

If the test uses Ahem font or an image, then you can only describe with
words how the cursor should look like.

Test Format Guidelines

Test Style Guidelines

Test Templates