Re: [css-writing-modes-3] text-orientation-mixed-001 , text-orientation-010 , text-orientation-014 tests

Le 2015-12-07 10:26, Koji Ishii a écrit :

>> Hello,
>>

>> http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/text-orientation-mixed-001.xht
>>
>> The reference image must be redone so that it uses a "T" (65332) and
>> not a
>> "T" (84).
>> More info:
>>
>> http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3WritingModes/T-in-text-orientation-mixed-001-test.html
>

> I think it's intentional and correct, though I agree that it's not easy
> understand. "T" is in FULL WIDTH T to set in upright. If you change it
> ASCII T, it must set in sideways, and the test is no longer testing
> "mixed"
> value.

Kazuaki Takemura,

I have updated your

http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/text-orientation-mixed-001.xht

test a bit:

http://hg.csswg.org/test/rev/208a599088f4

I wanted to approve your text-orientation-mixed-001 but "if both "Text
sample" rectangles are identical" can lead testers to believe that
everything must be pixel-perfectly-identical. I think we need to
rephrase the pass-fail-conditions sentence to just say something like:

Test passes if both "Text sample" rectangles have only their "T"
displayed vertically and their "ext Sample" displayed sideways (90
degrees clockwise).

- - - - - - -

>> http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/text-orientation-010.xht
>>
>> The second (bottom) part of the test is wrong, not best, not testing
>> what
>> it claims to be testing because #test and #control use identical code.
>> The
>> initial, default value of 'text-combine-upright' is 'none'; the
>> initial,
>> default value of 'text-orientation' is 'mixed'.
>>

> Huh, agree that this test does not make sense, it only makes sense to
> who
> understands how it should look, and test and ref are not related.

Kazuaki Takemura,

I am trying to rehabilitate your text-orientation-010 test as much as
possible.
I wanted to use an image as reference (instead of, in place of your
current code #control which can not be correct) but Chrome 49 uses a
large letter-spacing (or inter-character spacing) which is larger than
Firefox 45. This may be allowed by the spec... I do not know for sure.
So, I need to think this over some more.

- - - - - - -

>> http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/text-orientation-014.xht
>>
>> The second (bottom) part of the test is wrong, incorrect. The initial,
>> default value of 'text-combine-upright' is 'none'; the initial,
>> default
>> value of 'text-orientation' is 'mixed'. So, 'sideways' text and
>> 'mixed'
>> text are compared.
>>

> This test is not good, but does not look wrong to me.

Kazuaki Takemura,

I am also trying to rehabilitate your text-orientation-014 test as much
as possible.
I am thinking of using

@font-face
 {
 font-family: "DejaVuSerifBook";
 src: url("support/DejaVuSerif-webfont.woff") format("woff");
 /* Filesize: 18096 bytes (17.7 KBytes) */
 }

since all the characters are basic latin and then create an image as
reference for comparison, for control. In your current test, #control
can not - in all fairness - serve as a reference for comparison.

Overall, I am more and more enclined to believe that we should split
your text-orientation-010, text-orientation-011 and text-orientation-014
tests in 2 distinct, separate tests so that some tests would say
"identical", others would grant some latitude, leniency with
inter-character spacing.

Test Format Guidelines

Test Style Guidelines

Test Templates