Re: Location of my CSS Tests changed

Le 2014-01-11 04:19, Gabriele Romanato a écrit :
> Hi all,
> now the location of my submitted tests has changed to:
>
> http://gabrieleromanato.name/tests/
>
> Also, I'm ready to submit new tests both to the CSS 2.1 and CSS3
> suites. Just let me know what are the areas of interest.
>
> Best wishes for the new year!
>

> Gabriele Romanato

Gabriele,

I do not know when someone (me?) is going to review and approve your CSS
2.1 tests into the CSS 2.1 test suite. I am for reviewing and approving
*_all of your CSS 2.1 tests_* unless they are clearly duplicates of
already submitted tests.

Preliminary comments on your tests. Please consider these only as
preliminary comments.

1-
http://gabrieleromanato.name/tests/css21/floats/html/floats-absolute-000.html

a) <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>

are not needed.

b) <meta name="flags" content="Valid"/>

By default, we assume (it's a prerequisite) that all tests are using
valid rules, valid declarations, valid CSS code, etc. So, here <meta
name="flags" content="Valid"/> will not recognized.

http://testthewebforward.org/docs/test-templates.html#requirement-flags

c) <style type="text/css" media="screen">
media="screen" is not needed and not suitable. Some browsers pass tests
when viewed on the monitor screen but fail (for no good reasons) when
printed or previewed.

d) minifying CSS code (removing blank white spaces and carriage return
and line feeds): this does not help reading, reviewing CSS code.

e) The best introductory "pass/fail conditions" sentence for tests is
"Test passes if (...)" and then the test itself folllows. With this
typical sentence and with this test structure, "pass/fail conditions"
sentence of tests do not need adjectives like "following", "next",
"below", "under" and "after" words. And people taking the test suite are
soon familiar and expecting the top-most part of tests to start with
"Test passes if (...)".

*******
Addendum: see "section 11 Removable and emboldenable words"
in my ImproveTestWritingGuidelines.txt
*******

f) The best text to use for testing is "Text sample".
There is also a green "PASS" on white background versus yellow "FAIL" on
red background.
The best text to use for background is "Filler text".

2-
"blocks", "box", "line" should be avoided in introductory "pass/fail
conditions" sentences. "sentence", "text", "word" are better because
more universally understood by non-CSS-savvy people: we want ordinary
people to be able to take test suites without having an elementary
knowledge of CSS. But tests themselves, in source code, can be and
should be for CSS-savvy people, of course.
Verbs like "appear", "look", "be visible", "see", "view" should be
avoided too.

3-
http://gabrieleromanato.name/tests/css21/floats/html/floats-inflow-elements-000.html

a)
Ideally, tests should be all taken without the need to scroll on a
modest screen dimensions (640x480). So, ideally, you want tests to not
require more than 400px (or so) in height.

Test Format Guidelines (Design requirements)
http://testthewebforward.org/docs/test-format-guidelines.html#short

b) The only difference between 1st and 2nd outer squares is that
internal elements of 1st square are floated left: everything else uses
the same CSS code. So, the CSS code could be made to be more compact and
more straightforward.

c) there is also another difficulty with tests like these: no humans can
actually see if 2 rather big squares are perfectly and exactly
identical. So, here, I would probably resort to green-overlapping-red
technique.

4-
http://gabrieleromanato.name/tests/css21/floats/html/floats-complex-000.html

a) I would rename that image female-gender-symbol-102x173.png or
something like that (or Venus symbol: Venus symbol (U+2640 ♀).). Note
that the image does not use a circle.
b) images should be in a support/ folder
c) ideally, you want tests involving non-simple shapes to include the
image-to-be-compared-with reference. So, here, I would include the
reference image with the test and then edit "Test passes if there are
<strong>2 identical female gender symbols</strong>."

5-
http://gabrieleromanato.name/tests/css21/floats/html/floats-negative-margins-000.html

Ideally, you want the rendered layout of a test that is passed to be
normal, to look standard, to be expected. To assume/presume that the
test passes if 2, 3, 1 is seen is somewhat going against normal
expectations, predictions. I would change this to display (in case of
success) " 1, 2, 3" or "A B C" or even "P A S S".

6-
http://gabrieleromanato.name/tests/css21/floats/html/floats-percentages-000.html

I see a tiny sliver of red in several browsers most likely because of
fractional pixel and rounding issues. So this test is not best
(imprecise).

7-
http://gabrieleromanato.name/tests/css21/parsing/html/brackets-nested-000.html

As the number of test suites increases (now over 35 test suites) and as
the number of tests increases (now, over 13000), we want to reduce the
number of 1-to-1 test-to-reftest and we want to increase the number of
N-to-1 test-to-reftest. We want people to use and reuse already created
and available reftests from
http://test.csswg.org/source/approved/css2.1/src/reference/

Doing so will reduce work, fetching, performance, maintenance,
complexity, etc.
So, here, with tiny adjustments, the test could be coded to use

http://test.csswg.org/source/approved/css2.1/src/reference/ref-filled-green-100px-square.htm

as its reftest.

8-
http://gabrieleromanato.name/tests/css21/parsing/html/comment-attribute-selector-000.html

With tiny adjustments, this test could be pointing to
http://test.csswg.org/source/approved/css2.1/src/reference/ref-this-text-should-be-green.htm
as its reftest.

9-
http://gabrieleromanato.name/tests/css21/parsing/html/quotes-escape-000.html

Here's the change I would propose for this test:

p {font-size: 4em;}

p:after {content:"PASS";}

p:after {content:"\; /*" FAIL " */"}
(...)