Re: css-border-radius-001

From: Gérard Talbot <css21testsuite@gtalbot.org>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 15:13:29 -0400
To: Gérard Talbot <css21testsuite@gtalbot.org>
Cc: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>, public-css-testsuite@w3.org, weisong4413@126.com
Le 2014-08-20 14:07, Gérard Talbot a écrit :
> Le 2014-08-20 12:38, Chris Lilley a écrit :
>> Hello Public-css-testsuite,
>>
>> css-border-radius-001 says
>

> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css-backgrounds-3_dev/nightly-unstable/html4/css-border-radius-001.htm
>

>> The test passes if you the green is inscribed circle of the red
>> square.
>>
>> Firstly, its odd to see red in a passing test and another colour (blue
>> for example) would be more expected.
>
> Red color should be use only as a fail condition:
>
> "
> Don't use the color red other than to indicate a failure.
> "
> http://testthewebforward.org/docs/test-format-guidelines.html#red-means-failure
>

>> Secondly, a more natural English wording would be
>>
>> The test passes if the green circle fits exactly inside the blue
>> square.
>
> Or:
>
> Test passes if a filled green circle fits exactly inside a blue square.
>
> Also,
>
> A) line 8 could be safely removed
>
> line 8    <meta content="border-radius" name="flag">
>
> B)

> 	.redSquare{
>             position: absolute;
> 		top:50px;
> 		left:50px;
>             width: 100px;
>             height: 100px;
> 		background-color:rgba(255, 0, 0, 1);
> 	}
>         .greenSquare {
>             position: absolute;
> 		top:50px;
> 		left:50px;
>             width: 100px;
>             height: 100px;
> 		border-radius: 50%;
> 		background-color:rgba(0, 255, 0, 1);
>         }
>         .container {
>             position: absolute;
>         }
>
> B1)
> is not needed in the test. So, this could be removed.
>
> B2)
> Blue object adjacent to orange object is best for contrast. Blue
> adjacent to green is not ideal for color contrast.
>
> B3)
> Classes is not needed in the test. Class is for logical grouping of
> various elements. So, here, I would replace .redSquare with
> #orange-square and replace .greenSquare with #blue-circle
>
> B4)
> I do not see the need to absolutely position the container square and
> the filled circle. position, top and left declarations are not needed
> in the test and, therefore could be removed.
>
> B5)
> I do not see the need to use rgba. Just
>
> background-color: blue
>
> and
>
> background-color: orange
>
> would suffice.
>

> C)
> The image
> background:url(../support/y.png);
> in the reference file
> [...]

This file

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3Backgrounds/border-radius-pct-001.html

is basically what I had in mind when I said that absolute positioning
was not needed in the test.

Note that the original test uses 3 selectors and a total of 14
declarations while my file uses 3 selectors and a total of 5
declarations.

Another issue I stumbled on. The original test's filename is
css-border-radius-001: the chunk "css-" in that filename is not needed
and not useful. It may also need to be filename-renamed to describe the
goal of the test: it could need to include "percent" or "pct". This is
what a closer review of the test could come up with.

Gérard
CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011