Re: [css3-background] background-clip-009.html has 1 issue

Le Lun 13 mai 2013 22:45, Alan Gresley a écrit :
> On 14/05/2013 8:56 AM, "Gérard Talbot" wrote:
>>
>> Le Dim 5 mai 2013 21:18, Julien Chaffraix a écrit :
>>> Hi Gérard,

>>> That wasn't the intent of my reply actually. I expect the browser to
>>> clip at the border box. The extra margin was designed to catch the
>>> case where the browser actually paints the margin box with the
>>> background color.
>>
>> What if it would have painted the margin box and then clip at the
>> border
>> box? Then we would not know that the background painting
>> implementation
>> is wrong.
>>
>> We have at least one test checking, verifying that background-color
>> does
>> not (never!) paint the margin area of an element:
>>
>> [RC6]
>> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20110323/html4/margin-backgrounds-001.htm
>>
>> [nightly-build]
>> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/nightly-unstable/html4/margin-backgrounds-001.htm
>>
>> ... albeit the text assert of those tests seems awkward and
>> perfectible
>> to me...
>
> At least one test is required to make sure that backgrounds do not paint
> in the margin box.
>

>>> In retrospect it's probably not that much of an
>>> issue but I thought it was nice to have.

>>> I removed these lines as they seem to have confused you
>>
>> They have confused me. In my mind, in CSS 2.1, background painting is
>> one distinct, separate thing and then there is background clipping
>> (cisaillement, rogner, découper) which is another distinct, separate
>> thing. CSS3 seems to be merging both things together under one single
>> property: background-clip.
>>
>> Maybe (really not sure of this as it would decisively affect all of
>> margin collapsing spec) CSS3 background-clip should have been split
>> into
>> 2 other properties: background-painting and background-clip ..
>
> Gérard, please see the 'background-origin' property [1]? Note the part
> about 'background painting area'.

I have read it; there is no mention of 'background painting area' in
'background-origin' property [1].

> Also read up on the 'background painting area' that is reference in
> 'background-clip' [2],

I have read it. It clearly is about the painting area. "3.7. Painting
Area: the ‘background-clip’ property".

> 'backgrounds of special elements' [3] and also in
> 3.4., 3.9., 3.6. and 7.1.

Well, I have read it all. And I have not changed my mind.

Background-color is not painted, is never painted in the margin area of
an element (except the root one, eg body in HTML4, html), regardless of
the background-clip property value.

I am working on submitting another test:
margin-backgrounds-003

Gérard

> 1. http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-backgrounds/#the-background-origin
> 2. http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-backgrounds/#the-background-clip
> 3. http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-backgrounds/#background-painting-area
>

> Alan
>

> --
> Alan Gresley
> http://css-3d.org/
> http://css-class.com/

CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011:

Contributing to to CSS 2.1 test suite: