Re: css3 line-break tests

Le 22/01/2013 17:40, Glenn Adams a écrit :

>     Ideally, you want the pass/fail conditions sentence to be short, clear
>     and understandable by non-web-people.
>

> I don't agree with the last part of this assertion. CSS test suites are
> not designed for use by the public, and it would be a distortion of
> established terminology to adopt layman terms that, by definition, are
> imprecise.

I think that Gérard is only talking about the "pass condition" that
determines whether the test passes or not. I agree that *this* should be
as easy to understand as possible, and should not use too technical
terms. That way anybody can run the test suite in their favorite
browser, and click "pass" or "fail" without having to read up tons of
terminology first.

However, we can and should still use precisely the right terminology in
the explanation found in  <meta name="assert" content="…">. In my
understanding, *this* is the part meant for spec editors and implementers.

Checking thousands of tests against a given UA version takes a lot of
time. It’s much easier if anyone can go through them, and implementers
then only have to consider the failing tests. IMO this is the point of
having an online test harness that collects results.

--
Simon Sapin