Re: CSS3-writing-modes text-orientation testsuite

Le Dim 17 février 2013 11:35, Kazuaki Takemura a écrit :
> Hello.

Hello Kazuaki :)

> You must be very busy because of the increasing number of committers
> from Japan.

I should be and will be in vacation in a few days. I'll notify all the
committers from Japan.

> But, I have submitted the property of text-orientation.
> http://test.csswg.org/shepherd/search/testcase/spec/css3-writing-modes/status/submitted/
> I appreciate it very much if you could review it.
>
> Reviewing the site(http://http://wiki.csswg.org/test/format),
> I did my best to describe it as accurately as possible, but if you find
> any errors, please let me know.
>
> This property may be the same one as described in Mr. taka$B!G(Bs mail
> (http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-css-testsuite/2013Feb/0039.html),
>
> but I submitted it anyway (since there are many kinds of properties in
> Japan).
>
> It was very difficult to explain this property in words with as little
> image as possible.
> It was especially hard to explain rotations and positional relationship.

I understand. It is difficult. One way is to use an image as reference
or use CSS transforms rotate feature as reference.

Example given of rotated text (45 degrees)
http://test.csswg.org/suites/css3-transforms/nightly-unstable/html/transform-rotate-001.htm

This text
"
for reference:
		horizonal-only:(Includes: Latin, Arabic, Hebrew, Devanagari)
		vertical-only:(Includes: Mongolian, Phags Pa)
		bi-orientational:(Includes: Han, Hangul, Japanese Kana)
"
should NOT be read by testers. You can leave it as a <!-- comment --> in
the test though.

> I tried to describe it as simply as possible to keep it short.
> But, if you find it is difficult to understand or still too long, please
> do not hesitate to point it out.

I have been working on this.

One way to make the pass/fail conditions sentence short and simple to
understand is to create a test and a reference (image or SVG or
something else) and then simply say:

"Test passes if there are 2 <strong>identical</strong> [shape
descriptor]s."

where shape descriptor could be rectangle, stripe, bar, line, grid or
even "Text sample", etc.. In this way, you avoid having to describe in
great details the 2 shapes or text.

That way, you can also reuse later the reference in the reftest.

> By the way, I have tried several browsers and found that it works with
> Safari and Chrome, though not perfectly.

Yes. I agree.

> Other browsers do not seem compatible with this property.
>
> And @font-face relationship is commented out.
>

> Regards.
> Takemura

Here's what I've been working on:

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/review/text-orientation-mixed-001-review.xht

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/review/text-orientation-mixed-001-review-ref.xht

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/review/text-orientation-mixed-123.xht

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/review/text-orientation-mixed-123-ref.xht

Another idea would be to use CSS transform rotate feature on <div
id="reference">:

"
 rotate(<angle>)
    specifies a 2D rotation by the angle specified in the parameter
about the origin of the element, as defined by the
‘transform-origin’ property. For example, ‘rotate(90deg)’ would
cause elements to appear rotated one-quarter of a turn in the
clockwise direction.
"
coming from
15.1. 2D Transform Functions
http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-transforms/#two-d-transform-functions

as the reference. That way, no image to create.

-----------

You can remove the "should" flag from
text-orientation-mixed-001.xht
and
text-orientation-sideways-001.xht

"should" flag means that the property value or feature is recommended
and not required by the spec. Here, text-orientation values are
required, must be supported.

More later.

CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011:

Contributing to to CSS 2.1 test suite: