Re: [css3-multicol] multicol-rule-001 and multicol-rule-dashed-000 reviews

From: Gérard Talbot <css21testsuite@gtalbot.org>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 18:26:43 -0400
To: "Håkon Wium Lie" <howcome@opera.com>

Le Ven 30 août 2013 16:06, Håkon Wium Lie a écrit :
> Also sprach "Gérard Talbot":

>  > http://test.csswg.org/source/contributors/howcome/submitted/multicol-rule-dashed-000.xht
>  >
>  > Proposed replacement
>  > --------------------
>  >
>  > http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3Multi-Columns/howcome/multicol-rule-dashed-000-GT.xht
>  >
>  > http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3Multi-Columns/howcome/multicol-rule-dashed-000-GT-ref.xht
>  >
>  > I think IE10 fails this test only because it starts painting the
> dashes
>  > into column-rule from bottom to top instead of from top to bottom (or
>  > vice versa) when it paints the dashed borders on other elements. I
> don't
>  > see why the border painting should not be consistently the same for
> all
>  > elements.
>
> Also, IE11 paints the green vertical too far to the left. From your
> code:
>
>  font: 3.125em/1 Ahem;
>    ..
>    width: 410px;
>  }

I don't have IE11 so I can not check this. I would double-check if
IE11's default font size is 16px.

> Wouldn't it make sense to use the same unit for font size and width?

Yes. Generally speaking, it often makes sense to use only 1 unit in a
test (in general, this helps reviewing, understanding) and using
relative units are preferable as it makes the test more scalable.

I have updated all
multicol-rule-*-000-GT.xht
and
multicol-rule-*-000-GT-ref.xht
by replacing 410px with 8.2em and by replacing 10px with 0.2em

Gérard

CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011:

CSS 2.1 test suite harness:
http://test.csswg.org/harness/

Contributing to to CSS 2.1 test suite: