Re: Reftest Maximum Viewport Size

From: Leif Arne Storset <lstorset@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 15:55:17 +0200
To: public-css-testsuite@w3.org
On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 10:14:25 +0200, Leif Arne Storset <lstorset@opera.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Sep 2012 00:33:43 +0200, fantasai
> <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
>
>> Reftest harnesses often work by taking screenshots and comparing those
>> screenshots. Parts of a test outside the viewport are therefore not
>> compared. The question here is, what is the smallest size that we need
>> to accommodate?
>>
>> Mozilla is suggesting 600x600; does anyone think we need to go smaller?
>
> I was asked to confirm this, so here goes:
>
> Opera does not need to go smaller. (We run our tests in 1600x1200 by
> default.)

This still applies, but I'd like to add a suggestion for the future.

In our system, individual tests can override this default size. For
instance, a number of tests for meta viewport use 320x240px. So a single
size does not fit all tests. Opera would suggest adding meta information
for test size where necessary. If anyone ends up creating and publishing
tests which depend on a particular screen size, we would all appreciate an
automatic way of applying that information to our test runners.

--
Leif Arne Storset
Layout Developer, Opera Software