RE: Dimensions of "standard letter sized sheet of paper"

From: Gérard Talbot <css21testsuite@gtalbot.org>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 15:31:54 -0400
To: "Arron Eicholz" <Arron.Eicholz@microsoft.com>

Le Ven 21 septembre 2012 14:13, Arron Eicholz a écrit :
> On Thursday, September 20, 2012 9:15 PM Gérard Talbot wrote:
>> Many paged/printing tests from Microsoft have/use and reuse the
>> expression
>> "standard letter sized sheet of paper"
> I only found this text in 2 files, position-fixed-004 and 005. I have
> updated the cases to not state that any longer and I think I have
> reworked 005 to better work in any case.

I think I "rubber-stamped" position-fixed-004 too fast. The new version
of that test still has some issues.

1- The test is supposed to print more than 1 page: this expected result
was not explicit in old and is not stated in newer version. When I print
preview the test in Opera 12.02, I get only 1 page (under Linux KDE
4.9.1; I may try again later under Windows). So, testers strictly and
formally complying with directives would say Opera passes when this is
not true.

div#filler's height changed from 3000px to 400%. So the test should now
be able to anticipate, predict and specify number of pages printed or
paginated. From what I can see, 5 pages should be printed.

2- Is there a need for the test to specify the height of div#div1 and to
give it a background-color? I'm just asking this because I do not think
this is necessary for the test, inside the goal of the test itself.
Personally, I would remove
line 25: background: lime;
line 26:  height: 25px;

> Let me know if it makes sense. 005 may still need a little tweaking.

This one is very good.

3 nitpicks though:

text visible when paginated or printed.</p>

can be compacted with

no red.</p>

paginated or printed.</span>

can be reformulated as

CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011:

CSS 2.1 test suite harness:

Contributing to to CSS 2.1 test suite: