Re: Browser zooms and testsuites

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 12:37:45 -0400
To: public-css-testsuite@w3.org
On 10/30/12 12:21 PM, Fran├žois REMY wrote:
> Here's the test that pass (when zoom is 100%) in IE & Chrome but fails
> in both when the zoom is enabled (must be <100% zoom to show up).

The testcase is basically testing that

html { background: red; font-size: 100vw; }
#target { background: green; width: 1rem; height: 1em; font-size:
100vh; }

shows no red.

Note that in WebKit this fails if you do something as simple as resize
the viewport, because WebKit doesn't actually properly update the size
of its vw/vh units on viewport size changes.  As far as I know neither
does IE.  See http://m8y.org/tmp/testcase272.xhtml for another example.
  It should be pretty trivial to write an automated test for this using
an iframe whose size gets changed dynamically...

So I will bet that zoom is only relevant here insofar as it changes the
effective viewport size and then the lack of handling of viewport size
changes kicks in.

> I just launched the test on FireFox Nightly and it's not affected by
> this issue.

Yes, that's why it took us a bit longer to implement viewport-relative
units...  Something about wanting them to work right when the viewport
size changes.  ;)

-Boris