Re: Browser zooms and testsuites

On Oct 28, 2012, at 4:21 PM, François REMY <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This is just a remainder that some tests I wrote during Test The Web Forward work fine when running in 100% zoom but fails when the browser is set to other zooms values. This is because, sometimes, the browser uses real window/OS units instead of zoomed units, something which is causing issues.
>
> I think it may be important for browser implementers to test their browser in real "zoom conditions" and check that the result of the test is the same as what they would obtain by scaling down the image from the 'zoom-expanded' resolution (or, at least, by running the reference test in the same zoom conditions).
>
> Browser zoom is really useful on small devices (to adapt for a small screen a desktop site), and on hi-res desktop displays to accomodate small text and wasted space (some browsers have settings to load page zoomed-in by default in this case) so this is important to make sure there's no implementation bug due to zoom.

Did you check with latest nightly builds of browsers? Can you open bug reports for browsers that fail on their tracking system and add the test to the bug tracking system please? In general posting to that list does't really help browsers to track issues. Messages get overseen in the daily flood of mails.

Greetings,
Dirk