Reftest filename convention; multicol-rule-inset-000; small issues

From: Gérard Talbot <css21testsuite@gtalbot.org>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 14:54:32 -0400
Cc: "Håkon Wium Lie" <howcome@opera.com>

References should be named after the earliest test that uses them in the
test-topic series they belong to, and must have either -ref or -notref
appended to the name.

So, such filename convention means, implies that
associated reftest should be filenamed

In my opinion, the only reason why Opera 11.64 fails this test is
related to how 'border-style: inset' works.

I think the test will cause a false negative. Suggestion: inset replaced
by solid

Other small issues:

1- In my opinion, the best pass-fail-condition sentence is/starts with:

"Test passes if [...]".

2- Since all tests starts with a pass-fail-condition sentence, then
there is no need to use "below", "following", "under this paragraph" or
similar meaning in the pass-fail-condition sentence.

3- Extraneous declarations (or elements) or unnecessary declarations (or
elements) should be avoided.
"The test contains no extraneous content."
I see this occuring in reftests too.

4- Many tests (not just in the multicol test suite) use
'border-collapse: collapse' for HTML tables (and sub-table elements)
which do not even have borders. The implicit goal for doing this is to
neutralize border-spacing default UA value (2px 2px) effect in the
'border-collapse: separate' model. This, in my opinion, is awkward; it
may be valid but it's not context-logical. I suggest to use
'border-spacing: 0px' instead/rather than 'border-collapse: collapse' in
such cases.

5- Some tests have markup validation issues. Eg.
only needs to wrap the pass-fail-condition sentence into a <p>...</p>
in this case, at line 30.

6- Many tests may need to be filename-renamed. Eg.
height-001 does not seem to be the best filename for this test. I believe
multicol-height-001 may be better here.

Declarations are listed in a consistent order throughout a test series.
(Always listing properties in alphabetical order makes this easy.)

This actually helps review, reviewing, code examination by others not
familiar with the tests. It also helps when selectors are listed in the
order taken by document.

8- Many tests use Ahem font; sometimes, I am not sure why or do not see
why (just a prelimary/superficial impression).

CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011:

CSS 2.1 test suite harness:

Contributing to to CSS 2.1 test suite: