RE: [RC6] Several background-0* tests are duplicates

Le Lun 26 mars 2012 12:44, Arron Eicholz a écrit :
> [...]
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > background-090 Background with (color image position repeat) [RC6]
>> > http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20110323/html4/background-090.htm
>> >
>> > background-093 Background with (color repeat image position) [RC6]
>> > http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20110323/html4/background-093.htm
>> >
>> > background-096 	Background with (color repeat position image)
>> > [RC6]
>> > http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20110323/html4/background-096.htm
>> >
>> > 'background'
>> >     Value:  	[<'background-color'> || <'background-image'> ||
>> > <'background-repeat'> || <'background-attachment'> ||
>> > <'background-position'>] | inherit
>> >
>> > http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/colors.html#propdef-background
>> >

>> > "
>> > A double bar (||) separates two or more options: one or more of them
>> > must occur, in any order.
>> > "
>> > http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/about.html#value-defs
>> >

>> > background-090, background-093 and background-096 have, for
>> practical
>> > reasons, the exact same code.
>>

>> background-111 Background with (image color repeat position) [RC6]
>> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20110323/html4/background-111.htm
>>
>> background-114 Background with (image color position repeat) [RC6]
>> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20110323/html4/background-114.htm
>>
>> background-117 Background with (image repeat color position) [RC6]
>> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20110323/html4/background-117.htm
>>
>> background-120 Background with (image repeat position color) [RC6]
>> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20110323/html4/background-120.htm
>>

>> Many tests are in reality duplicates; they have same code and same
>> rendered layout, except permutation of background sub-properties.
>>

> None of these that you list are duplicates. Visually they may look the
> same but in reality they are testing that you can place the values in
> any order as per how the specification defines. These tests are not
> really relevant for established browsers since most of those browsers
> have this logic correct but anyone implementing something new with a new
> parser needs to run these cases and verify that the parsing is correct.
> Also in the past (2+ years ago) multiple browsers had parsing errors
> with many of the background tests. It wasn't until these tests were
> written that all those bugs were caught.
>
> I do agree that there now may be a better way to handle parsing cases
> for CSS but at the time these were written we only had visual
> verification for parsing tests. If I were to rewrite these tests today I
> would probably write a DOM test to verify that the values get parsed
> correctly or if I were to leave them visual tests I would combine all of
> them into one test and use smaller squares for verification. Either way
> would work I think.
>
> Not sure what we should do now though. The tests are fine as is.

The tests are indeed fine with me. I have created reftests for these.

They
> are valid, correct and they are not duplicates. So I am not seeing your
> point on how they are duplicates.

My limitations with english lead me to use "duplicates" word.

> As long as the values are in a
> different order and they do not have the same number of sub-values as
> any other background test then it is a different test and not a
> duplicate.

I see that other shorthand properties were tested in that manner too. E.g.

font-variant, font-weight, font-size and font-family
http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20110323/html4/font-008.htm

font-weight, font-variant, font-size and font-family
http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20110323/html4/font-010.htm

CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011:

Contributing to to CSS 2.1 test suite: