[RC6] block-in-inline-001

From: Gérard Talbot <css21testsuite@gtalbot.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 15:46:06 -0400
To: "Robert Hogan" <lists@roberthogan.net>
Le Mer 14 mars 2012 16:41, Robert Hogan a écrit :

I have re-written your subject line as this is a separate issue from my
other posts on a serie of tests.

> 'invalid' test with this line-height issue is:
> http://test.csswg.org/shepherd/testcase/block-in-inline-001/

I think you're right. There is a line-height issue with inline box in
that test.

I am investigating this test now.

> I think it should be fixed to use a specified font that does not
> result in line-gap on any UA - if that's possible.

I assume that what you mean with line-gap is top-half-leading and
bottom-half-leading .. Ascent space (above lowercase "x") and descent
space (below baseline) are different gaps..

Setting 'line-height: 1' should make line box as tall as font-size but
often content area is taller than 1em (the top part of "É" and
underscore character are painted outside); that's why using Ahem font is
more reliable, predictable. 'vertical-align: top' and 'line-height: 1'
set on inline boxes should make these fit into line box without bleeding
out of it.

> Alternatively,
> it could specify a line-height.

I am trying to rehabilitate such test right now (without resorting to
Ahem font) and, so far, I have not found a solution.

A testpage:

I use É and underscore characters to better visually identify ascent and
descent areas. As you can see, the line box is reliable, predictable,
paintable. I have added a margin-left: 0.1em so that you can compare
with the ruler where the red and green rectangles starts exactly.
Content area is what can cause problem: even when using characters
without descenders (p, y, j, g,) and without ascenders (l, b, d, h,
etc), the content area would still be taller (approx. 18% with common
fonts [1]) than line height as set.

Chances are the only way to rehabilitate this test is to use Ahem font.

[1]: Alan Gresley has a test page on this.

CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011:

CSS 2.1 test suite harness:

Contributing to to CSS 2.1 test suite: