Re: [RC6] display-applies-to-001 and 002 are worthless: proposed worthful replacements

Le Dim 11 mars 2012 22:07, "Gérard Talbot" a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> [RC6]
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20110323/html4/display-applies-to-001.htm
>
> [nightly-unstable]
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/nightly-unstable/html4/display-applies-to-001.htm
>
> [RC6]
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20110323/html4/display-applies-to-002.htm
>
> [nightly-unstable]
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/nightly-unstable/html4/display-applies-to-002.htm
>
> In my opinion, as coded, those 2 tests have no relevance, no usefulness
> and no value. They will be passed by non-CSS-capable browsers, by text
> browsers, by buggy browsers. They will be passed if/when CSS support is
> disabled.
>
> I do not know of a single browser which does not set an "a" element as
> inline in its own user agent stylesheet. Unknown elements are by default
> styled as inline anyway.
>
> Realistically speaking, those 2 tests can not fail.
>
> I have proposed a replacement back in september and october 2010:
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-css-testsuite/2010Sep/0161.html
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-css-testsuite/2010Oct/0020.html
>
> http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/css21testsuite/display-applies-to-002.htm
>
> Furthermore, lots of web authors out there have been trying to create
> columnar layouts for their sites in which an intra-site navigation list
> or intra-site-section navigation list would be rendered by styling <li>
> elements (and also 'a' elements) with 'display: block' (vertical
> navigation menu), sometimes with 'display: table-cell', or with
> 'display: inline' (horizontal navigation) and zero or more levels of
> nestedness. Several web authoring tutorials are about achieving just
> that.

How to best replaced these 2 tests?

These 2 tests would be *_much more valuable, worthy, useful_* if they
were testing

a 'li' element styled with 'display: table-cell' or 'display: inline' or
'display: block'

or

an 'a' styled with 'display: table-cell' or 'display: block'

just like this is done on web tutorials sites like Listamatic,
Listamatic 2 and Listutorial ( http://css.maxdesign.com.au/ )

CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011:

Contributing to to CSS 2.1 test suite: