[RC6] vertical-align-baseline-010 is incorrect; vertical-align-baseline-006 also incorrect

From: Gérard Talbot <css21testsuite@gtalbot.org>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 22:38:50 -0500
To: "Arron Eicholz" <arron.eicholz@microsoft.com>

I think the test is incorrect.

Since the wrapping div has only inline elements, then the so-called
inline-block behaves/should behave like a normal block with inline
formatted content and not as an inline-block (which must have, by its
definition, block boxes [1] somewhere).

If I reset the wrapping div's display property from 'inline-block' to
'inline' or to 'block', then the test passes anyway.

The spec does *not* mention that
"The baseline of an inline-block element is aligned with the baseline of
its child inline element when 'vertical-align: baseline' is specified on
the child."

The spec does say "The baseline of an 'inline-block' is the baseline of
its last line box in the normal flow (...)"
which must be coming from (and created by) the last of its block boxes.

I do not see how this test can be rehabilitated either. I think such
test should be removed.

is also incorrect but it can be rehabilitated.

line 9 <style type="text/css"><![CDATA[
       div > div
       display: inline-block;
       font-size: 30px;
       vertical-align: baseline;

line 19 <p>Test passes if the bottom of all 'L's are aligned.</p>
line 20 <div>LLLLL

[1]: what baseline alignment testing for inline-blocks require is
something like this:

CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011:

CSS 2.1 test suite harness:

Contributing to to CSS 2.1 test suite: