Re: Tables with multiple outlines

Le Mar 10 janvier 2012 14:26, Robert Hogan a écrit :
> Hi there,
>
> Does anyone on the list have a sense of how this one should work?
>
> https://bug-71944-attachments.webkit.org/attachment.cgi?id=121869
>
> FF, WebKit and Opera render it very differently.
>
> Thanks,
> Robert

Robert,

There is a lot of leniency and laxism with regards to when, where and
how outlines are or can be painted in the spec.

1-
"The outline *_may_* be drawn starting just outside the border edge." [1]
but it does not have to. It could be - who knows - at 8px from border edge.

2-
"encloses all the element's boxes" does not necessarly mean or
necessarly imply the border box. Firefox encloses the descendants'
outline box, not just at its border box.
That is one reason why
http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20110323/html4/outline-width-095.htm
has various possible renderings [2].
This applies well to
https://bug-71944-attachments.webkit.org/attachment.cgi?id=121869
regarding possible and conformant rendering.

3-
Invert may be rendered differently.
"Conformant UAs may ignore the 'invert' value on platforms that do not
support color inversion of the pixels on the screen. If the UA does not
support the 'invert' value then the initial value of the 'outline-color'
property is the value of the 'color' property, similar to the initial
value of the 'border-top-color' property." [1]

4-
Overlapping outlines
"
This specification does not define how multiple overlapping outlines are
drawn, or how outlines are drawn for boxes that are partially obscured
behind other elements.
" [1]
This applies well to
https://bug-71944-attachments.webkit.org/attachment.cgi?id=121869

5-
The step at which outline may be painted on canvas is not specified in
the spec.[3] It could be at 7.2.2 (optional) of Painting order or at 7.3
(optional) or at 10 (recommended but not required). We had a long thread
on z-index-020 test.
This reduced test page shows the issue:
http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/css21testsuite/z-index-020-reduced.html

[1]: http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/ui.html#dynamic-outlines

[2]:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-css-testsuite/2011Nov/0001.html

[3]: http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/zindex.html#painting-order

regards, Gérard

CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011:

Contributing to to CSS 2.1 test suite: