Re: [css3-transitions] [css3-animations] API for testing transitions and animations

From: Øyvind Stenhaug <oyvinds@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 11:35:49 +0100
To: "Boris Zbarsky" <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, "Aryeh Gregor" <ayg@aryeh.name>
Cc: public-css-testsuite@w3.org
On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 22:01:29 +0100, Aryeh Gregor <ayg@aryeh.name> wrote:

> Right.  So I'll probably start on tests for transitions and animations
> shortly.  My testing strategy will be

I should probably mention that I volunteered as owner of the Animations
testsuite a while back (since nobody else spoke up) [1], and that since
then, I have created about 150 tests (not submitted quite yet). Those are
all automated via testharness.js (some using setTimeout, some using the
animation events, some neither), and can also be visually/manually
inspected for a more thorough check (they don't have reference animations,
though).

There seems to be no owner for Transitions yet, by the way [2].

> * Test computed style at the start, end, and iteration events, and
> initially, and maybe also after everything should have finished.
> * Test computed style using requestAnimationFrame.
> * Test rendering using animated reftests.
>
> I think that should give us decent coverage, no?

Opera doesn't support requestAnimationFrame currently. I suppose this
makes me biased as well, but I think it would be unfortunate if the W3C
testsuites were to depend on proprietary features (as far as I know,
current implementations are all prefixed and the spec is at FPWD).

[1] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-css-wg/2011OctDec/0330.html
[2] http://wiki.csswg.org/test/oversight#owners-and-peers
--
Øyvind Stenhaug