Re: [RC6] Many margin-left-* tests not testing what they were intended to test

From: Gérard Talbot <css21testsuite@gtalbot.org>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2012 21:23:13 -0400
To: "Arron Eicholz" <arron.eicholz@microsoft.com>
Le Sam 18 août 2012 20:24, "Gérard Talbot" a écrit :
> Arron,
>
> [RC6]
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20110323/html4/margin-left-004.htm
>
> [RC6]
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20110323/html4/margin-left-029.htm
>
> If margin-left is set on the external-parent div, then it can never
> create an horizontal gap between the external-parent and its
> inner-child.
> Just by changing [+/-]0[px|pc|mm|cm|in|pt|] to a positive value, we can
> see that there is still no horizontal gap.
> I recently upgraded/updated that test and did not notice this.
>
> I will re-adjust those tests... presumably a total of 27 test
> margin-left tests.

Ok. All 54 tests have now been fixed, reviewed and reftest-ed:

committed changeset 4153:e4d89520f50f

committed changeset 4154:8aea183cb08c

I have resorted to 'float: left' (display: inline-block was also
possible; also, other coding method were possible) to set the
container's width to shrink-to-fit. Now, if a negative margin-right is
rendered in any of the -0 tests, then there will be an horizontal gap
between the orange and blue lines. If a positive margin-right is
rendered in any of the +0 tests, then there will be an horizontal gap
between the orange and blue lines.
Before the modifications, this was just not possible by design, in the
design.

Gérard

CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011:

CSS 2.1 test suite harness:
http://test.csswg.org/harness/

Contributing to to CSS 2.1 test suite: