Re: "Images must be in PNG format"

From: Aryeh Gregor <ayg@aryeh.name>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 10:58:59 +0300
To: Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com>
On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 7:54 PM, Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com> wrote:
> I just saw that the Wiki for creating ref tests says: "Images must be in PNG format."[1]. Can we be less strict here and allow for instance SVG files as images as well? I just reviewed some tests that use SVG files as backgrounds. In my opinion it is more likely that they are platform independent.

PNG is undoubtedly more broadly supported, and much more interoperable
-- it's a vastly simpler format than SVG, after all.  I used SVG in
some of my tests just because that way I could write them easily, and
I was mostly interested in browsers (which all support SVG these
days).  PNGs would work just as well, and I can certainly convert them
all to PNG.