Re: "Images must be in PNG format"

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 19:04:53 +0200
To: Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com>
On Wednesday, April 18, 2012, 6:54:22 PM, Dirk wrote:

DS> Hi,

DS> I just saw that the Wiki for creating ref tests says: "Images
DS> must be in PNG format."[1]. Can we be less strict here and allow
DS> for instance SVG files as images as well?

This is clearly needed, since some tests require a non-raster image whose size etc depends on the computation of viewports.

And there are already tests that use SVG.

I suspect the restriction was to stop people unadvisedly using JPEG for sharp-edged raster images? If so, it should say that explicitly.

DS> I just reviewed some
DS> tests that use SVG files as backgrounds. In my opinion it is more
DS> likely that they are platform independent.

DS> Greetings,
DS> Dirk

DS> [1] http://wiki.csswg.org/test/format#acceptable-test-formats

 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG