Re: Submission of transform tests

On Apr 15, 2012, at 10:50 PM, Aryeh Gregor wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 10:42 PM, Linss, Peter <peter.linss@hp.com> wrote:
>> Actually Shepherd worked as designed there. Shepherd tracks each asset by name, so if a file's name changes it's considered a new asset. It does understand that the same asset may be represented by multiple files (as commonly happens with support files, and sometimes with references and tests as they're being worked on) and it tracks each file independently, but they're all considered the same asset.
>>
>> I do have some improvements on how Shepherd handles file renames on my to do list (it's all still a work in progress). When comments are entered they are logged against a specific revision of a specific file, so I can have the comments follow the file in the case of renames.
>
> In this specific case, when I checked in a new test that had the same
> name as an existing one, Shepherd seemed to treat it as a new version
> of the existing test, even though I didn't delete the existing test.

Right, as I explained earlier, this is by design. Shepherd understands, and tracks individually, multiple source files for the same asset. There are cases where this is necessary.

> I suggest that in this, it's probably better for Shepherd to complain
> loudly and ignore the new file rather than the old one as long as
> there's a naming conflict.

I'll have Shepherd generate a warning on first commit of duplicate files where the contents don't match. Again, there are cases where this is perfectly fine.

Shepherd will not ignore the duplicate (or the original) however, if it did, ho could you track the potential issue?

> (Does Shepherd have a bug tracker?  I don't see a component for it at
> <https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/describecomponents.cgi?product=Testing>.)

Yes, there's a Redmine instance on csswg.org for Shepherd, the build tools, and the harness (our version, the W3C version has forked but they will be brought more into line soon). I haven't publicly announced it yet because I want to get its user account system synced with the csswg.org user DB first.

Peter