[RC6] questions and feedback on inline-formatting-context-010 and inline-formatting-context-011

From: Gérard Talbot <css21testsuite@gtalbot.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 23:06:35 -0400
To: "Arron Eicholz" <Arron.Eicholz@microsoft.com>

I am confused and wondering about 2 tests in the current CSS 2.1 test

First test

This test is seemingly trying to verify that "A line box is always tall
enough for all of the boxes it contains."

but I do not understand the test and I do not see how the test is
actually testing the quoted sentence above.

1- If #span2 has a set line-height of 10px, its 50px glyph should bleed
out of it anyway.

2- Within the test design logic, what's the use/purpose of setting a
defined height of 25px to the wrapping div?

3- Do you believe the test is actually testing the assert? I have doubts.

4- I believe that one reliable way to paint a line box is to set the
background-color of a wrapping block container. It's not the same when
setting background-color of an inline non-replaced.

5- I believe this test is better:

Second test

1- When line-height is set on an inline non-replaced element, then it
sets its content area, content box.

The height of (...) inline [non-replaced] boxes, [this] is their

The height of the inline box encloses all glyphs and their half-leading
on each side and is thus exactly 'line-height'.

so, why set a 20px border to the span? I don't understand this as a mean
to demonstrate the purpose of the test.

2- Why display: inline-block?

3- I think this testpage (original test with minimal modifications ...
although I would probably do more) is better :

CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011:

CSS 2.1 test suite harness:

Contributing to to CSS 2.1 test suite: