Re: [shepherd] XML tests

On Thursday, October 13, 2011, 2:22:29 AM, Peter wrote:

LP> On Oct 12, 2011, at 1:55 PM, fantasai wrote:

>> Some of our tests are not XHTML, so running validation on them doesn't make
>> much sense. Generally these are the ones in the 'other-formats' folder.
>> They should be considered tests, but we can't automatically process them
>> the way we do other tests.

>> Ex: http://test.csswg.org/shepherd/testcase/background-18/

>> Not sure how to handle these, but the system shouldn't be marking them
>> invalid for missing XHTML bits...

LP> The system isn't trying to validate XML files as XHTML (it is
LP> validating the XML though). The error it's reporting is that it's not finding any metadata.

LP> Of course, for now, it's looking for the metadata inside an XHTML
LP> <head> element, which theoretically could be inside a generic XML
LP> file (just use the XHTML namespace for the <head> and its
LP> children). The system also has hooks to look for metadata inside a
LP> parallel XML file for those files that can't contain an XHTML
LP> <head>, but that's not quite connected yet. I've been debating the
LP> format for the parallel metadata files.

It would be handy if the system also allowed for XML metadata inside the resource (for example in SVG, which does not have a head element but does have a metadata element).

Since SVG2 tests will use this system, not being able to do this would be an issue as would having to put it in a parallel xml file.

LP> We also need to extend the metadata to be able to define multiple
LP> tests per file (for script tests like MQ).

LP> Peter

 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG