Re: [RC6] block-in-inline-append-001 has several issues

From: Gérard Talbot <css21testsuite@gtalbot.org>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 17:12:53 -0800
To: "Boris Zbarsky" <bzbarsky@mit.edu>

Le Mar 29 novembre 2011 16:44, "Gérard Talbot" a écrit :
> Boris,
> [RC6]
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20110323/html4/block-in-inline-append-001.htm
> [RC6]
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20110323/html4/block-in-inline-append-001-ref.htm
> [nightly-unstable]
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/nightly-unstable/html4/block-in-inline-append-001.htm
> [nightly-unstable]
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/nightly-unstable/html4/block-in-inline-append-001-ref.htm
> Both block-in-inline-append-001 and block-in-inline-append-001-ref have
> validation issues. The body element must have with a block container.
> <!ELEMENT BODY O O (%block;|SCRIPT)+ +(INS|DEL) -- document body -->
> As strange as it is, Opera 11.52 (displays a rectangular dotted line
> which is 10em wide), Chrome 15.0.874.121 (no dotted outline shown) and
> Firefox 8.0 (there are vertical "whiskers" on the left hand side of the
> first "A") have 3 different renderings of the reftest. So, they all
> "pass" the test ... according to/with 3 different respective reftests
> that they render. The test and its reftest definitely fail at
> determining in a reliable manner what is a fail condition.

> And I think a 4th way of rendering the test and the reftest would be
> okay too: with a non-rectangular shape which would outline the outermost
> inline.

No, I was wrong (I missed something) on that possible 4th way of
rendering... but I maintain the rest though.

I'm checking more of your block-in-inline testcases in section
and some browsers may seem to pass the testcases but in fact they
interpret the reftest differently.
Chrome 15.0.874.121 does not render
the same layout as Firefox 8.0 does ... while this is a reftest and not
even a real test.

regards, Gérard

CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011:

CSS 2.1 test suite harness:

Contributing to to CSS 2.1 test suite: