Re: [RC6] text-decoration-applies-to-005 is incorrect; text-decoration applicability with inline-block

Øyvind Stenhaug <oyvinds@opera.com> a écrit :

> On Tue, 08 Nov 2011 23:20:30 +0100, Gérard Talbot
> <css21testsuite@gtalbot.org> wrote:
>
>> [RC6]
>> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20110323/html4/text-decoration-089.htm
>>
>> [nightly-unstable]
>> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/nightly-unstable/html4/text-decoration-089.htm
>>
>> [RC6]
>> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20110323/html4/text-decoration-applies-to-005.htm
>>
>> [nightly-unstable]
>> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/nightly-unstable/html4/text-decoration-applies-to-005.htm
>>
>> "
>> Note that text decorations are not propagated to (...) the contents of
>> atomic inline-level descendants such as inline blocks and inline tables.
>> (...) User agents must not render these text decorations on content that
>> is not text. For example, images and inline blocks must not be
>> underlined.
>> "
>> 16.3.1 Underlining, overlining, striking, and blinking: the
>> 'text-decoration' property
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/text.html#decoration
>
> Propagation is only an issue in text-decoration-089, though.

I mentioned text-decoration-089 only because it had both declarations
(text-decoration: underline and display: inline-block) and had the
proper code for inline-block (block containers as descendants of an
inline box)

> In text-decoration-applies-to-005, text-decoration is set on the
> inline-block itself, so an underline is expected.

Øyvind, this is not what I understand from reading §16.3.1.
'text-decoration' is not supposed to affect, to style the inline-block
itself.

"
Underlines, overlines, and line-throughs are applied only to text
(including white space, letter spacing, and word spacing): margins,
borders, and padding are skipped. User agents must not render these
text decorations on content that is not text. For example, images and
inline blocks must not be underlined.
"

regards, Gérard

CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011