Re: [CSS3] text-emphasis tests

On 02/21/2011 03:43 AM, taka oshiyama wrote:
> Hi
>
> Please find a subject testcase I submitted here
> http://test.csswg.org/source/contributors/east-tokyo/submitted/css3-text/text-emphasis-color-001.xht
> Please kindly review it and give me feedback if any.

Hello Taka,

Because the positioning of the emphasis marks is not
precisely defined by the spec (and also because the
shape and size of the marks are suggested rather than
required), these tests cannot be written with exact
references as you are doing here. Reftests must match
their references pixel-perfectly. The abpos technique
is very clever, and is close enough to give the tester a
clear idea of what's expected from a manual comparison,
but they won't work for an automated comparison.

What you should do is:

- Write instructions that the test text should have marks
   "similar to" (rather than identical to) the one in the
   reference over each character. This will make all these
   files function accurately as self-describing tests.

- Make the reference file for text-emphasis-style using
   text-emphasis: <string> syntax on the test part. For most
   implementations that support text-emphasis, this should
   provide an accurate reference. To create a reference
   for text-emphasis: <string>, probably the best you can
   do is create a negative reference using != instead of
   == in the reftest.list file. Then compare the test to
   a file that doesn't have text-emphasis: this will make
   implementations that don't support text-empahasis:
   <string> at all fail during an automated run. (Because
   we can't make a true positive reference here, a manual
   comparison will be necessary to ensure correctness for
   this test.)

   I'm not sure yet what how to make a reference for the
   colors. We can leave it as a self-describing test only
   for now. Make sure that the test instructions are asking
   about matching the color, rather than paying attention
   to shapes.

- For the abspos references, it will probably give better
   results to set both 'left' and 'right' and use
   'text-align: center' to center the mark over the character.

- Lastly, use different kinds of characters here as the
   base text, e.g.
     ABC早午晚いろはابتdཀཁག
   to test that the emphasis marks work correctly with
   different scripts.

It would be a good idea to have a separate test that makes
sure text-emphasis marks work correctly with combining
characters, e.g. throw in some decomposed Korean and accented
Latin, and maybe a few Indic examples from UAX29. g̈각நிเก etc.
   http://unicode.org/reports/tr29/