[RC6] 3 font-variant: small-caps related testcases: font-005, font-019 and font-021

From: Gérard Talbot <css21testsuite@gtalbot.org>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 12:30:00 -0700
To: "Arron Eicholz" <Arron.Eicholz@microsoft.com>
Arron,

"
(...) synthetic small-caps, there is no basis for asserting that a
synthetic small-cap x is wider/taller than a lowercase x.  The X/x
letter is also a lousy test character because it's capital and lowercase
forms are very similar.  Using the letter E/e would be better I think.
"
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-css-testsuite/2010Jan/0017.html

John Daggett's comments are correct, relevant and meet the following 3
testcases too:

http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20110323/html4/font-005.htm (RC6)

http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/nightly-unstable/html4/font-005.htm

http://test.csswg.org/source/contributors/microsoft/submitted/Chapter_15/font-005.xht

http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20110323/html4/font-019.htm (RC6)

http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/nightly-unstable/html4/font-019.htm

http://test.csswg.org/source/contributors/microsoft/submitted/Chapter_15/font-019.xht

http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20110323/html4/font-021.htm (RC6)

http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/nightly-unstable/html4/font-021.htm

http://test.csswg.org/source/contributors/microsoft/submitted/Chapter_15/font-021.xht

which all start with
{
Test passes if the first black "x" is taller and wider than the first
orange "x" (...)
}

I wish CSS 2.1, section 15.5 font-variant

http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/fonts.html#small-caps

would state clearly and explicitly that a synthetic small-caps x is
supposed/expected to be wider and/or taller than a normal lowercase x

but it does not say so and there are browsers where a synthetic
small-caps x is not taller than a normal lowercase x.

I also very much agree with preferring/resorting to E/e for small-caps
testcases than to X/x.

regards, Gérard

CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011

CSS 2.1 test suite contributors: