Re: [RC4] containing-block-001 additional

From: Øyvind Stenhaug <oyvinds@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 19:51:07 +0100
To: "Alan Gresley" <alan@css-class.com>
Cc: CSS-testsuite <public-css-testsuite@w3.org>
On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 16:28:45 +0100, Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com>

> Now if I add both padding-top and padding-bottom to the innermost block
> I get different rendering in all browsers.
> <http://css-class.com/test/css21testsuite/containing-block-001c.htm>

The padding is on the inline element, not any of the blocks.

> In Opera 11 and FF 3.6.13, two anonymous blocks appear above and below
> the innermost block. IE9 beta only shows the first anonymous block as
> does Safari 5. Safari also fails to render the innermost block. FF
> 3.6.13 and IE9 beta show an additional space of 20px in height which I
> do not know the reason for which forces down the innermost block. Any
> clues in what is happening?

The line boxes before and after the innermost <span> are non-zero height
because of the padding on the inline.

Opera 11 seems to have a bug in this regard (with newer internal versions
of the rendering engine it looks the same as Firefox).

Øyvind Stenhaug
Core Norway, Opera Software ASA