Re: [RC4] first-letter-dynamic-002 purpose, relevance

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2011 08:52:29 -0500
To: public-css-testsuite@w3.org
 > Can someone explain/justify the purpose, relevance of this testcase
 > in a CSS test suite:

http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101210/html4/first-letter-dynamic-002.htm

It's a test of dynamic first-letter behavior handling that used to be
failed by at least one CSS+HTML+DOM implementation and is still failed
by another one.  It thus indicates an aspect of first-letter which
clearly causes implementation ... difficulties.

What more "relevance" is needed, exactly?

The purpose is, as with any test, multi-pronged:

1)  UAs claiming CSS 2.1 conformance should be passing this test.
2)  If there are issues with implementing this aspect of first-letter
behavior simultaneously with other aspects of first-letter behavior,
then we should have tests for both in the test suite, so we don't end up
specifying something for first-letter that can't be implemented.

Or am I just misunderstanding the question?

-Boris