[RC4] and [RC5beta] containing-block-017 and other containing-block-01*: section 10.1 (inline versus block)

From: Gérard Talbot <css21testsuite@gtalbot.org>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 13:05:22 -0800
To: "Arron Eicholz" <Arron.Eicholz@microsoft.com>, "Alan Gresley" <alan@css-class.com>
Cc: "public-css-testsuite@w3.org" <public-css-testsuite@w3.org>
Arron and Alan,

http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101210/html4/containing-block-017.htm
(RC4)

http://test.csswg.org/source/contributors/microsoft/submitted/Chapter_10/containing-block-017.htm
(RC5beta)

There is a confusion here.

The original containing-block-017 testcase (RC3) was trying to test
section 10.1, bullet 4, sub-bullet 2 by explictly styling span as
'display: block'.

Now, suddenly, the RC5beta is testing section 10.1, bullet 4, sub-bullet
1, sub-sub-bullet 1

Whatever Microsoft chooses to do as testcases here, I hope the testcases
are accurate, without duplication and that the test asserts accurate as
well. I think the previous versions (RC4) had some coding to change and
the test assert needed to be corrected. Now, the testcases
(containing-block-017 , containing-block-018) have been changed
entirely, completely.

http://test.csswg.org/source/contributors/microsoft/submitted/Chapter_10/containing-block-017.htm

duplicates the testcase goal of

http://test.csswg.org/source/contributors/microsoft/submitted/Chapter_10/containing-block-011.htm

Note that containing-block-019 and containing-block-020

http://test.csswg.org/source/contributors/microsoft/submitted/Chapter_10/containing-block-019.htm

http://test.csswg.org/source/contributors/microsoft/submitted/Chapter_10/containing-block-020.htm

have to be corrected and their correspondent assert as well. They have
the same issues that I originally reported for containing-block-017. The
span#span1 has no padding; so, the innermost span will be positioned at
the upper-left corner of the #span1 which corresponds to the content box
of the wrapping div, not at the upper-left corner of its padding box.
So, the testcase is confusing and not testing what it was initially
aiming at testing. top: auto and left: auto are not constraining values.

Same thing with containing-block-020.

And again, the testcase assert should be stating something like:

positioned block-level element is formed by the padding edge of its
nearest (closest) positioned ancestor element.">

-------------

http://test.csswg.org/source/contributors/microsoft/submitted/Chapter_10/containing-block-011.htm

http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101210/html4/containing-block-011.htm

http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101210/html4/containing-block-013.htm

http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101210/html4/containing-block-031.htm

http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101210/html4/containing-block-032.htm

are testing section 10.1, bullet 4, sub-bullet 1, sub-sub-bullet 1 .

regards, Gérard

CSS 2.1 test suite (RC4; December 10th 2010):

CSS 2.1 test suite contributors:
http://test.csswg.org/source/contributors/