Re: [CSS3]writing-mode-vertical-rl.xht

From: Gérard Talbot <css21testsuite@gtalbot.org>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 13:01:02 -0800
To: "taka oshiyama" <oshiyama@est.co.jp>
Le Jeu 10 février 2011 1:51, taka oshiyama a écrit :
> Talbot-san
> Thanks to your useful comments. I uploaded the file here
> http://test.csswg.org/source/contributors/east-tokyo/submitted/css3-writing-modes/writing-mode-vertical-rl-001.xht
after reflecting all. Please look into the file and review again.

Email address obfuscation.

You may want to obfuscate your (and/or your east tokyo work colleagues)
email address or give instead a contact webpage to counter email address
harvesting robots. Just a suggestion here.

Example given:

or even use an email obfuscation software.

<![CDATA[  ... ]]>

Your local style block should start with <![CDATA[ and end with ]]> when
editing an XHTML page.

        #test p
            margin: 0;
            text-indent: 0;
            white-space: pre;

By default in all browsers I know of, <p> elements do not have a
non-zero text-indent. So, I think you can safely remove 'text-indent:
0;' here.

In case of doubt, I sometimes check the user agent default style sheet
of open source browsers:

Firefox user agent style sheet defaults

WebKit user agent style sheet defaults

Konqueror user agent style sheet defaults

Opera 11's DragonFly (built-in web debugging add-on) displays user agent
default stylesheet for elements.

Google Chrome 9+'s web inspector will also report user agent default
stylesheet for elements.

Not perfectly reliable/trustworthy is:
Internet Explorer user agent style sheet defaults (IE6, IE7, IE8, IE9)

If it is possible to avoid using a nested <p> inside the <div
id="test">, then it is even more better. When you use a nested <div>,
you do not have to "neutralize"/zero the margin-top and margin-bottom
like you must do for <p>.

One important question for you.

I can understand why div#control has 'white-space: pre' but I do *not*
understand why #test p has 'white-space: pre' .

If the writing-mode-vertical-rl-001.xht testcase  wants to really put to
the test this 'writing-mode: vertical-rl' property
declaration and "challenge"/test browsers on their rendering, then I
would not declare #test p {white-space: pre;}

regards, Gérard

CSS 2.1 test suite (RC5; January 11th 2011):

CSS 2.1 test suite contributors: