Re: submission of CSS3 testcases by east-tokyo

On 02/04/2011 01:49 PM, taka oshiyama wrote:
> Hello public-css-testsuite review team
>
> Please find 2 testcases
> http://test.csswg.org/source/contributors/east-tokyo/submitted/css3-text/text-transform-006.html
> and
> http://test.csswg.org/source/contributors/east-tokyo/submitted/css3-writing-modes/writing-mode-002.html
> I submitted respectively, and please start a review process.
> This is the first cut from east-tokyo and would be a trial ahead of a
> series of submission, yet I'm not familiar with the review process
> http://wiki.csswg.org/test/css2.1/review correctly and therefore I would
> kindly request your advice if any.

Hello Taka,

Here are my initial general comments:

   1. Most of us don't understand Japanese, so please include both English
      and Japanese versions of the test instructions in the test. (You can
      use only English, but only Japanese makes it near-impossible for most
      of us to review.)

   2. Use .xht file extension so that the file gets served as XHTML. (An
      HTML copy will appear on the website automatically.)

   3. The tests should be reftests if possible. This means
        a. Creating another, simpler XHTML page that does not use the feature
           you are testing but looks exactly the same as the indended rendering.
        b. Creating a reftest.list file in the directory that matches up the
           test and its reference.

Here are my initial comments on text-transform-006:

   1. The test should be comprehensive, that is, it should test every single
      small kana character in Unicode. (There aren't many, so this is not
      unreasonable.) In addition, it should test a small sample of other
      characters to make sure they are not affected, e.g. large kana remain
      large, and alphabetic characters do not get uppercased or lowercased.

   2. Since this is very easy and very possible, test should ask for a
      comparison of the test text to a reference text, such as in these
      tests:
http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20110111/xhtml1/text-transform-bicameral-008.xht
http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20110111/xhtml1/content-counters-009.xht
      (The reftest reference would then be an exact copy of the test, except
      with two control elements instead of one control and one test.)

   3. The text-transform does not actually require the use of a particular font.
      It only requires that the font used have a glyph for the characters being
      tested. (CSS's fallback algorithm should take care of that.) If a system
      completely lacks a Japanese font, then the IPA font can be used as a
      suggestion, but the test shouldn't be flagged as requiring a special font.

Here are my initial comments on writing-mode-002:

      It is impossible to create a reference for actual Japanese glyphs oriented
      in vertical-rl without using vertical-rl, so I would suggest at least for
      these basic tests to use Ahem and compare to a horizontal rendering. For
      example,

      when rendered into a vertical block that is 8 characters wide
        .test { writing-mode: vertical-rl; font: 20px/1 Ahem; width: 8em;
                color: blue; background: yellow; }
        .test p { text-indent: 0; margin: 0; }
      will look like this
              xxxx
              x  x
               xxx
               x x
               x x
               x x
      which, if you use Ahem, should be identical to a horizontal block
         .control { font: 20px/1 Ahem; white-space: pre; width: 4em;
                    color: blue; background: yellow; }
         .control p { text-indent: 0; margin: 0; }
      that contains this text:
      x  x
       xxx
       x x
       x x
       x x</div>

      You can then ask the tester to merely compare the blue-and-yellow
      patterns to make sure they are identical. And, as with the previous
      test, you can write a reftest reference that uses two control blocks
      instead of a test and a control.

      (This does not address the glyph orientation, but that should be a
      separate test in any case.)