Re: abspos-010 result unclear.

From: Øyvind Stenhaug <oyvinds@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2011 12:20:07 +0100
To: public-css-testsuite@w3.org, "Robert Stam" <robert@tallcomponents.com>
On Thu, 03 Feb 2011 11:34:37 +0100, Robert Stam
<robert@tallcomponents.com> wrote:

> In test abspos-010 [chapter 10] the text says
> 'There should be a green block and no red below.'
>
> I see that the some browsers like Opera and Chrome and are displaying it
> as a square (3*3), and some others as a rectangle 4*3 [h*w] like FireFox
> and Internet Explorer 8.

It seems Firefox and IE8 don't do margin collapsing when determining the
static position of an abs. pos.

I haven't thought hard about what complications might be hidden there, but
on the surface it seems like a bug to me. The spec basically allows all
sorts of things though - "user agents are free to make a guess at its
probable position" - so strictly speaking I guess the TC isn't even valid
per spec.

> Does this mean that both a square and a rectangle are correct as output?
> Or how should we read 'block' as one of the two only?

In general, I believe "block" is supposed to mean rectangle (whether
square or not).

--
Øyvind Stenhaug
Core Norway, Opera Software ASA