Re: Review Report on sections 9.2.4 to 9.3.2 ~= 169 testcases

fantasai wrote:
> On 09/05/2010 03:58 PM, "Gérard Talbot" wrote:
[snip]
>> ----------------------
>>
>> Author: Ian Hickson
>>
>> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20100815/html4/root-box-003.htm
>>
>>   <title>CSS Test: Styling the root element: display:none (page should be
>> a big green expanse)</title>

>>     html { display: none; background: green; color: red; }
>>
>> If it is not supposed to be displayed, then how could it be painted? Why
>> should it be painted?
>>
>> "display of 'none' does not create an invisible box; it creates no box
>> at all."
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#display-prop
>>
>> I do not think this testcase should be approved.
>
> This presents an interesting question. The background of the root element
> is supposed to be propagated to the canvas; it does not paint on the root
> element's box. Hixie's assertion is that it is therefore still painted
> even when the root box still exists, which makes sense.
>
> The interesting question is, where would background images be positioned
> if the root box doesn't exist? I don't think this testcase is wrong per
> spec, but it does have some interesting implications.
>
> ~fantasai

Any background images has no point from which it can be positioned
since the root element has no height. Such a box has infinite width
across the canvas but zero height. It exist on the x-axis only.

Using this test case,

http://css-class.com/test/css/visformatting/root-bfc-icb4a.htm

try two things. Give the <html> display:none and then swap the
display:none to the <body>. The first test shows similar to Hickson's
test. The later test,

body {display:none}

only shows the border for <html> filling the entire x-axis and it's
background-color is propagated to the canvas. The background-image is
not present since it is positioned within a zero height root element's
box.

--
Alan http://css-class.com/