Re: Tests with difficult/confusing pass condition/wording: c414-flt-ln-002.htm

> On 08/09/10 21:57, "Gérard Talbot" wrote:
>>> ==== CSS1 Test Suite Contributors, Ian Hickson ====
>>> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20100815/html4/c414-flt-ln-002.htm
>> * The description is too complicated, and it's difficult to tell
>> easily
>>> if
>>> things are really level.
>>
>> One way to tell is by highlighting the line. And then we realize that
>> the small coloured boxes ([A][B][C][D]) tops are not perfectly flush
>> with their correspondent big coloured boxes.
>>
>>> Maybe this can be split up into multiple
>>> simpler
>>> tests?
>>

>> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20100815/html4/c414-flt-ln-003.htm
>> looks like one but it's not a less complex testcase.
>>
>> I examined
>> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20100815/html4/c414-flt-ln-002.htm
>> a bit and I do not see an easy, quick, clear, clean and reliable way
>> improve the testcase right now.
>>
>> Odd.. we discussed this c414-flt-ln-002.htm test before:
>>
>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-css-testsuite/2010Jul/0044.html
>>
>> but no one seem to have noticed that the small vs big coloured boxes
>> are
>> not perfectly lined up, flush at their respective top.

> Geoffrey Sneddon wrote:

> Highlighting the line is only helpful if they do actually render on the
> same line: I've almost never seen them actually all get rendered on the
> same line, and I've seen it go both ways, having multiple large boxes on
> a single line as well as not having the small box on the same line as
> the large one.
>
> The main difficulty with that test is the low likelihood you actually
> get all the boxes on the same line.

Geoffrey,

Seeing (very) often the large boxes not on the same line as the small
boxes should not happen in the testcase (I saw that too with Opera
10.61).

I've tried
http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/css21testsuite/c414-flt-ln-002-draft.htm
with Opera 10.62 build 6438 under Kubuntu lucid 10.4 and the testcase
looks decent, reasonable, working. I have not tried it under Windows so
far.

If the testcase is correct, then I am open to suggestions on how to
better word the expected results paragraph and/or how to improve the
wording of expected results.

Řyvind Stenhaug wrote:

> http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/css21testsuite/c414-flt-ln-002-draft.htm

> This clears up some confusions, but the exact alignment when "on the
> next line" isn't given.

I've tried to indicate this in the expected results paragraph: it should
be on the leftmost available part of next line.

> Maybe it could use Ahem and a fixed width for the div, and thereby get
> rid of the second and third sentences?

If we use a fixed width for the div, then resizing browser viewport will
not reflow the "filler text"s and consequently the large and small
boxes.

In my latest draft, I have removed a few "filler text"s.

I have not tried with Ahem font so far. I am not against resorting to
Ahem font.

regards, Gérard

CSS 2.1 test suite (beta 3; August 15th 2010):

CSS 2.1 test suite contributors:
http://test.csswg.org/source/contributors/