Re: Automating testcases

On 05/09/10 19:44, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> * Geoffrey Sneddon wrote:
>> However, the first large set of tests that it makes sense to automate
>> are tests submitted by Microsoft: there are 400–500 tests for which the
>> reference is effectively just "<p>Test passes if there is no red visible
>> on the page.</p>". This is the largest collection of tests in the
>> testsuite with a single reference.
>>
>> If we (i.e., the browser vendors apart from MS represented at the
>> meeting, Apple, Google, Mozilla, and Opera) wish to convert them to
>> reftests, how should we go about this?
>
> Checking that a browser's rendering of a document contains no red is a
> one-liner (IECapt | ImageMagick's identify | grep for "#FF0000 red"),
> so would the task be to make sure a script can easily identify which of
> the tests can be run this way and the exact pass condition (in addition
> to "no red" there is also "some green", "only green" and so on)? That
> should only be a matter of collecting all the prose from the tests and
> then identify the right patterns.

Well, how to actually do the automation isn't the question (the obvious
solution being to follow the already established policy of using
reftests), but rather how to do it within the policies about touching
tests you don't own, when the majority of people active within the
testing group want them automated but the owners do not.

--
Geoffrey Sneddon — Opera Software
<http://gsnedders.com/>