outline-width-095/096 invalid

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 12:41:02 -0700
To: public-css-testsuite@w3.org
These testcases (note 095 and 096 have different authors):
http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/html4/outline-width-095.htm
http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/xhtml1/outline-width-095.xht
http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/html4/outline-width-096.htm
http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/xhtml1/outline-width-096.xht
are invalid because they assume that the outline is always drawn
around the border box.  In particular, the spec says:
  # Outlines may be non-rectangular. For example, if the element is
  # broken across several lines, the outline is the minimum outline
  # that encloses all the element's boxes. In contrast to borders,
  # the outline is not open at the line box's end or start, but is
  # always fully connected if possible.
   --http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/ui.html#dynamic-outlines

In Gecko's case, we currently interpret "encloses all the element's
boxes" as enclosing the outlines of descendants.  (We might change
that, though, but it's still a valid behavior.)

-David