Re: incorrect pass condition in c43-rpl-bbx-000/001

From: Gérard Talbot <css21testsuite@gtalbot.org>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 11:35:56 -0700
To: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Cc: "public-css-testsuite@w3.org" <public-css-testsuite@w3.org>

> These tests:
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/xhtml1/c43-rpl-bbx-000.xht
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/xhtml1/c43-rpl-bbx-001.xht
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/html4/c43-rpl-bbx-000.htm
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/html4/c43-rpl-bbx-001.htm
> have an incorrect pass condition.  They say that there should be a
> "big teal square", but in reality this square has an aqua border
> around the edge.  And since this is a highly-upscaled image, the
> aqua border's edge might be a bit blurry.

In
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-css-testsuite/2010Jan/0034.html
I also reported this aqua border problem: "Most testers would also
assume that the teal square does not include the aqua belt (thick
border) around the teal square. Or they wouldn't be sure."

I also asked:

1- How does the tester know *_for sure_* that the teal square is
[accurately] half the width of the window?
2- How would the tester know that the teal square is not 53% or not 48%
of the width of the window?

The thing is it could be off by 3 or 4 pixels and no one (except a
machine checking pixels) would know that.

regards, Gérard

CSS 2.1 test suite (RC2; October 1st 2010):

CSS 2.1 test suite contributors:
http://test.csswg.org/source/contributors/