Re: Questions about microsoft tests (3nd version)

On 02/10/2010 10:58 PM, Bruno Fassino wrote:
> 2010/2/10 Gérard Talbot<css21testsuite@gtalbot.org>:
>>
>> Please note that in test
>> http://test.csswg.org/source/contributors/microsoft/submitted/Chapter_9/inline-formatting-context-017.xht
>> there is potentially 2 additional difficulties.
>>
>> {

>> stretch spaces and/or words." name="assert">
>>
>> Test passes if the width of spaces and/or characters of the first line
>> of "Filler Text" is larger than the second line of "Filler Text".
>> }
>> 2-
>> What if there is no difference of width? The user agent could then still
>> pass the test but the statement (expected result) suggests otherwise.
>
> Yes, since the stretching of spaces and/or words is optional the test
> should always be passed...

Since the test is flagged as "may", the wording is correct.
To pass the test, the UA must justify the text. However,
passing the test is not required to claim conformance to
the spec.

That said, I agree with the comments about how the test
could be written better. It should be possible, using
Bruno's Ahem-based test as an example, to write the test
so that it compares against a reference rendering created
with box borders.