Re: About Microsoft test anonymous-box-generation-001.xht

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 17:25:30 -0700
To: Bruno Fassino <fassino@gmail.com>
CC: public-css-testsuite@w3.org
On 02/27/2010 11:49 PM, Bruno Fassino wrote:
> The test
>    http://test.csswg.org/source/contributors/microsoft/submitted/Chapter_9/anonymous-box-generation-001.xht
> claims to test the "generation" of an anonymous block box.
>
> Maybe I'm missing something, but it's not clear to me how the presence
> of such an anonymous box can be proved by this test, and in fact by
> any other test.
>

> The same applies to
>    http://test.csswg.org/source/contributors/microsoft/submitted/Chapter_9/anonymous-boxes-inheritance-001.xht
> which claims to test inheritance for anonymous boxes.

If you assume the anonymous boxes have been generated correctly, it's
quite straightforward to test inheritance. This particular test is
testing the inheritance of font-family and font-size. IMO it's not a
very clear way to test inheritance. For one thing, inheritance of
color is much easier for a tester to check than checking the size of
two boxes. Also, since they are boxes, there's a question of "how
accurately do I need to examine this output?" Is the test sensitive
to slight differences on the order of 1px? Or will it fail very
obviously? It's not clear whether I have to count pixels here, and
of course, I'd rather not.