Acceptable Scripting Media type for CSS 2.1 test suite (review purposes)

From: Gérard Talbot <css21testsuite@gtalbot.org>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2010 15:47:23 -0700
To: "public-css-testsuite@w3.org" <public-css-testsuite@w3.org>
Hello all,

What are the acceptable, adequate script media types for CSS 2.1 test

type="text/javascript" is definitely ok but what about
type="application/javascript" ?
and what about type="application/ecmascript" ?

I am a reviewer and this question needs to be eventually addressed. For
several reasons.

1- The test format guidelines
makes no mention of this matter.

2- The CSS2.1 Test Case Authoring Guidelines
that's for inline script (event handler) attributes, not locally
embedded script blocks.

3- RFC 4329
(RFC 4329 was published in April 2006 and RFC 4329 was discussed and
approved as soon as June 2005.) has obsoleted "text/javascript" and has
recommended type="application/javascript" or

4- Internet Explorer 8 does NOT support type="application/javascript".
We even filed bug 338278
on this precise issue and we backed/substantiated our requests with
Bertrand Le Roy article
, with RFC 4329 and with Robin Lionheart's HTML 4 conformance test

5- This issue is not theoretical or odd. A bunch of submitted testcases
use <script type="application/javascript">
And that can make IE8 (and possibly other user agents) fail 100% of the
time the testcases... which were originally intended to test CSS
compliance in the first place... and not test RFC 4329 compliance.

regards, Gérard

CSS 2.1 test suite (beta 1; July 1st 2010):

CSS 2.1 test suite contributors: