Questions about microsoft tests (3nd version)

From: Robert Stam <robert@tallcomponents.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 16:13:41 -0600
To: "Arron Eicholz" <Arron.Eicholz@microsoft.com>, <public-css-testsuite@w3.org>
Hi Arron,

I checked with that version now, but the problems are still present, I
updated the file-names (and ordered on chapter) below:

Thanks in advance for any feedback on those issues.

1) ---------

The DOCTYPE of this test is XHTML 1.0 Transitional in which there's no
baseline space reserved below an image. This causes the images to
overlap slightly. Changing the DOCTYPE to strict will results in the
correct output..

2) ---------

Incorrect test: the computed value of property border-width at element
'body' is 0, because border-style is 'none'. The value 'inherit'
inherits the computed value, so at element div.test the border-width is
also 0 and no rectangle is shown. (Chrome, FireFox and Opera render this
correctly, by displaying only one square).

3) ---------

Invalid test. Only the first row is part of the table row group that has
a blue background.

4) ---------

Test expects the text to fit on two lines where the first line is

5) ---------

The width of the container is not big enough to fit all the text.
Besides that the test is rendered correctly.

6) ---------

Frames are not supported in CSS, expected HTML-xxxx test.

7) ---------

We consider both test as incorrect tests: only pre and pre-line (not
pre-wrap) cause text-align value 'justify' to be replaced by its initial

8) ---------

#22 is the Unicode character for 'Synchronous Idle', but no font was
found that displays it as mentioned in the test description.

9) ---------

Looks like IE8 specific behavior.

10) ---------

Whitespace is preserved in the table, so whitespace between <table> and
table-row and an anonymous table-cell.

11) ---------

CSS 2.1 specification does not specify how extra table height space
should be distributed over the rows. Since a cell-height percentage
computes to auto, all rows will get an equal part of the remaining
space. A more sophisticated algorithm could inspect cell and row
percentage heights and try to satisfy them.

We consider this test as invalid test: In div1, the computed value of
outline-width is 0, because outline-style is none (the default value).
The 'outline-width: inherit' inherits this computed value, so the width
of the outline is zero.

If you have any further questions, do not hesitate to contact me.

Best Regards,
Robert Stam
Follow us @ twitter: http://twitter.com/tallcomponents