Re: t100304-c43-rpl-bbx-00-d-g.htm, t100304-c43-rpl-bbx-01-d-g.htm: html and body margin should be set to

> On 02/27/2009 05:12 PM, Arron Eicholz wrote:
>> http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Test/CSS2.1/current/html4/t100304-c43-rpl-bbx-00-d-g.htm
>> http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Test/CSS2.1/current/html4/t100304-c43-rpl-bbx-01-d-g.htm
>>
>> The result for these tests is currently inaccurate in all major
>> browsers due
>> to default body margins. The tests need to set the left and right
>> margins to
>> '0' so the test is accurate.

Only the body element needed to have its margins set to 0. There is no
padding and no margin on the HTML element in all browsers that I know
of. Finally, Opera 6 had a default padding on the body element (but no
one uses this browser anymore) and W3C once recommended padding: 1em on
the body.

I suggest

to replace

html, body, p { margin-left: 0; margin-right: 0; padding-left: 0;
padding-right: 0; }

with

body, p { margin-left: 0; margin-right: 0; padding-left: 0;
padding-right: 0; }

> Fixed. Let me know if it's ok now:
>    http://test.csswg.org/source/approved/css2.1/archive/raw-tests/css1tests/css1test43d.xml
>    http://test.csswg.org/source/approved/css2.1/archive/raw-tests/css1tests/css1test43e.xml
>
> ~fantasai

One other thing regarding both of these tests is that it is not precise,
absolutely clear.

"a big teal square half the width of the window":

1- How does the tester know *_for sure_* that the teal square is half
the width of the window?
2- How would the tester know that the teal square is not 53% or not 48%
of the width of the window?
3- Most testers would also assume that the teal square does not include
the aqua belt (thick border) around the teal square. Or they wouldn't be
sure.

People like us would see the image in a distinct window and the precise
pixels dimension measurements, then open up a web debugging software
(DOM Inspector, Web inspector, DragonFly, Dev. toolbar, etc) and would
know for sure about the image and about the exact width of the content
area of the HTML document. But we are not the ideal/targeted testers:

"
the test instructions are accurate, precise, simple, and
self-explanatory. Your mother/husband/roommate/brother/bus driver should
be able to say whether the test passed or failed within a few seconds,
and not need to spend several minutes thinking or asking questions.
"

regards, Gérard

CSS 2.1 test suite (pre-alpha):
http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Test/CSS2.1/current/html4/