RE: 3 Microsoft margin collapsing tests (wrt float, clear and clearance)

Gérard Talbot wrote on Wednesday, January 20, 2010 1:56 PM:

> http://test.csswg.org/source/contributors/microsoft/submitted/Chapter_8/
> margin-collapse-018.xht
>
> a) How come an element on which clear is set (to other than none) can have
> an effect when there is no preceding floated sibling in the test?

This is a test case bug I am looking into fixing this but have been side tracked by another test case at the moment. I will be submitting an update for this case soon. I'll let you know.

> -------------------------
>
> http://test.csswg.org/source/contributors/microsoft/submitted/Chapter_8/
> margin-collapse-023.xht

Another test cases bug. I have updated the test case and it should now be more logical.

Please also look at case margin-collapse-025.xht. I'm not 100% sure it is correct either. It's a different rule. I think it might just have the logic wrong again.

> --------------------
>
> http://test.csswg.org/source/contributors/microsoft/submitted/Chapter_8/
> margin-collapse-027.xht

> not collapse when own margins collapse and clearance is applied."
>
> a) This sentence is utterly difficult to understand and seems awkwardly
> written.

Ummm... Yeah. Yuck. It is changed and maybe makes more sense. Let me know if it's still a little weird.

> b) The test has an element on which clear is set but there is no float
> anywhere in the test. So, how could there be a clearance created?

Rewrote the case it now makes sense.

> c) The markup is

> Again, what would be best for CSS newbies, ordinary web authors wishing to
> see/examine examples of margin collapsing for learning purposes. I suggest
> more intuitive, meaningful id semantic.

Love the idea. I wish I would have thought about it when we created all of our tests. Unfortunately I want to keep all of our cases consistent across the entire test suite. For now I am going to leave it as div1, div2, etc. but if I have time I might change all the tests that we have submitted.

--
Thanks,
Arron Eicholz