Re: bidi tests assume undefined letter-spacing behavior

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2010 04:42:52 -0500
To: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>
CC: public-css-testsuite@w3.org
On 10/13/2010 09:48 PM, L. David Baron wrote:
> The following tests:
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/xhtml1/bidi-005.xht
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/xhtml1/bidi-006.xht
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/xhtml1/bidi-007.xht
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/xhtml1/bidi-008.xht
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/xhtml1/bidi-009.xht
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/xhtml1/bidi-010.xht
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/html4/bidi-005.htm
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/html4/bidi-006.htm
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/html4/bidi-007.htm
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/html4/bidi-008.htm
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/html4/bidi-009.htm
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/html4/bidi-010.htm
>
> assume letter-spacing behavior that is, as far as I can tell,
> undefined in CSS 2.1.
>
> While I agree Gecko's current behavior is suboptimal (and probably
> best fixed by implementing what is required by css3-text (in bug
> 299943)), I don't think these tests are valid as tests for CSS 2.1.

Which element generates letter-spacing at an element boundary
is not defined in CSS2.1. But the letter-spacing here is
consistent throughout the paragraph. Gecko is failing here
because the inter-character spacing is inconsistent.

You might be right that the test is dependent on undefined
behavior at element boundaries, but in that case I'd split the
test into two halves: one that checks the location of element
borders, and another that tests interaction with letter-spacing.
(I'm having trouble right now coming up with a letter-spacing
behavior that would require this split, though; i.e that would
pass with the split, but fail with the current combination.
But if you think I should split the tests, then let me know
and I'll split them.)