Re: c5504-mrgn-l-002 is invalid

On 2/12/2010 4:00 AM, L. David Baron wrote:
> On Tuesday 2010-11-30 22:54 -0500, fantasai wrote:
>> On 10/14/2010 03:05 PM, L. David Baron wrote:
>>> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/html4/c5504-mrgn-l-002.htm
>>> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/xhtml1/c5504-mrgn-l-002.xht

[snip]

>> The test is marked as 'should', and is therefore not required
>> to pass. But I don't see any reason to remove it as it does
>> not in fact appear to be invalid.
>
> If the point of the test is in fact to test that the horizontal
> scrollbar allows scrolling to the left, the pass condition should
> say that.  I suspect the implementations that are marked as passing
> this test currently (although I can't actually find any) pass it
> because they create a scrollbar that doesn't allow scrolling
> anywhere.
>
> I think if the pass condition is corrected to test what you think
> the test should be testing, we'll have 0 passes for the test.
>
> -David

Precisely David. No implementations that I can test with produce a
scrollbar. If you can narrow the viewport to allow the text to wrap, the
second line overflows towards the left but is partially hidden by the
width of the negative margin. If the test did once produce a scrollbar
in any implementations (guessing Gecko 1.7 or Opera 7 or other UA) then
such implementations allowed (or allows) visible horizontal overflow in
both directions.

--
Alan http://css-class.com/