Re: c5504-mrgn-l-002 is invalid

On 10/14/2010 03:05 PM, L. David Baron wrote:
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/html4/c5504-mrgn-l-002.htm
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/xhtml1/c5504-mrgn-l-002.xht
> assert that something that sticks out of a page to the left should
> cause a horizontal scrollbar.  This requirement is not defined by
> the spec and is interoperably *not* implemented.
>
> The test should be removed.

 From http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visufx.html#overflow-clipping
   # Whenever overflow occurs, the 'overflow' property specifies
   # whether a box is clipped to its padding edge, and if so,
   # whether a scrolling mechanism is provided to access any
   # clipped out content.                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

 From http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visufx.html#overflow
   # The 'visible' value when used for the viewport must be
   # interpreted as 'auto'.

 From the definition of 'overflow: auto':
   # The behavior of the 'auto' value is user agent-dependent,
   # but should cause a scrolling mechanism to be provided for
   # overflowing boxes.

The test is marked as 'should', and is therefore not required
to pass. But I don't see any reason to remove it as it does
not in fact appear to be invalid.